EBMUD Job Title: Meter Mechanic/Backflow Tester
Salary Info: $85,080 - $98,496 Annually, Plus Excellent Benefits + Retirement
Opens online at www.ebmud.com/jobs on Monday, December 3
Online applications must be received by 4:30 p.m., Friday, December 7, 2018
Internal Reference # 18-160
East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD), one of nation’s largest independent water and wastewater utility, invites qualified professionals to apply for the position of Meter Mechanic/Backflow Tester. The incumbent of this position works in the office, shop, and field while coordinating site surveys, inspecting, testing, installing, and repairing backflow prevention devices and related metering and control equipment. They also perform related work as needed.
Typical responsibilities include:
· Locating, inspecting, and testing existing backflow prevention devices and water meters.
· Repairing and installing backflow assemblies and meters.
· Investigating to determine cross-connection hazards.
· Advising consumers on East Bay Municipal Utility District’s (EBMUD) cross-connection control ordinances and regulations, requiring installation of backflow prevention where necessary.
· Maintaining accurate service records.
· Observing proper safety precautions and maintaining tools, supplies, equipment, and the work site in a safe condition.
· Directing the work of lower-level employees on specific projects or maintenance procedures.
· Investigating and responding to customer complaints regarding cross-connections and backflow prevention.
· Ensuring compliance with EBMUD, state, and federal regulations for backflow prevention.
The salary range is $7,090 per month increasing to $7,445, $7,817, and $8,208 after 12, 24, and 36 months, respectively.
EBMUD offers an excellent benefits program that includes: paid vacation, holidays and sick leave; family health insurance coverage; family dental and vision care plans; retirement plan (reciprocal with CalPERS); 401(k), 401(a) and 457(b) tax-deferred retirement plans; transit subsidy; tuition reimbursement; and opportunities for professional growth including training and career development.
A typical means of acquiring the essential knowledge and abilities is:
1. Possession of a high school diploma or its equivalent; AND
2. Two years of experience as a skilled water meter mechanic or equivalent experience installing and maintaining mechanical control devices.
Possession of both a General Backflow Tester certificate and a Cross-Connection Specialist certificate is highly desirable. The incumbent must possess the approved certificate that demonstrates competency as a backflow prevention device tester within one year of employment.
Candidates must possess both a valid California driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record. Candidates must be physically capable of performing the critical and important duties of the job, including having sufficient strength to lift 70-pound meters. Must be willing to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions and work overtime as needed.
Submit a completed EBMUD application and the required supplemental question responses online at www.ebmud.com/jobs by 4:30 p.m., Friday, December 7, 2018. Only application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted.
EBMUD is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability
Job Hotline: (510) 287-0742